Winter Weather Tips
As the cold sets in you need to consider how it can affect you, those around you, and your home. We have compiled some advice we think you will find useful over the winter months. From tips on how to keep warm, safe and healthy over the chilly season, keep reading!
Here are some ways you can look after your home:
- Clear walkways
At this time of year the weather can be against us when it comes to slips and falls - to try and avoid these it’s a really good idea to clear any leaves from your pathway on a regular basis, and keep in grit should you need it when the ice strikes. Contact your local council as sometimes they can supply grit.
- Keep draughts at bay
A great way to be more effective with heating your home can be to stop the heat escaping! Simple items like draught excluders for doors can make all of the difference! Also be sure to close your curtains! Plenty of heat can escape through windows, but simply closing curtains before it gets dark can retain the warmth in your home.
- Drains and gutters
To stop blockages, it’s recommended you clear your drains and gutters on a regular basis to prevent water damages such as mould and damp, along with leaks too.
- Problems with your heating or hot water
The cold weather can play havoc with boilers, but did you know there are things that you can do at home to sort them out without an engineer visit?
Our approved contractor Liberty have some great videos which can help you get your boiler working again. Simply answer the questions over on our Liberty’s website and choose your boiler to gain access.
Self-help guides for your heating system and boiler
Still having trouble?
If you’re still having trouble, you can quickly and easily report a repair online:
Tips on staying well and looking after your friends and neighbours
- Keep in contact with trusted callers, friends and relatives should you need help and keep your mobile phone charged.
- Look out for your neighbours and family. If you are concerned you can reach out to your local council, or Age UK helpline on 0800 00 99 66.
- If you are eligible for a free flu vaccine make sure you have one. To find out if you are eligible you can check on the NHS website.
- Feeling unwell? Don’t wait it out, head to your nearest pharmacy for advice, rather than letting it get worse.
- Keep your home heated to at least 18 degrees Celsius.
- Wear warm clothes - layers are best, including a hat
- If heading outside in icy conditions, wear boots or shoes with suitable grips
- Make sure you have enough food and medicines
- Check the weather forecast regularly so you can plan in advance. You can check your local forecast and any weather warnings online at The Met Office website
- Have regular hot drinks and food
More information on preparing for winter