How do I end my tenancy?
We’re sorry that you are leaving Great Places but here’s all you need to know about ending your tenancy.
What you need to do
Check your tenancy agreement — is it weekly or monthly?
- Weekly tenancies — these require four weeks' notice which must start on a Monday and end on a Sunday. If notice is not given on a Monday the four-week notice period will start from the following Monday.
- Monthly tenancies — these require one calendar month's notice.
- In some cases a minimum of two weeks' notice is possible, providing the following conditions are met:
- A property inspection visit is carried out within the notice period
- The property is in an acceptable condition
- Any minor repairs can be carried out during the notice period
- The rent account is cleared or an appropriate arrangement is in place before you leave.
- You can let us know you wish to end your tenancy by completing this quick online form.
Your responsibilities — you must:
- Pay the rent up to and including the tenancy end date
- Allow access for a property inspection visit
- Clear the property of all belongings including items in the garden and in the loft
- Return the keys to Great Places no later than 12 noon on the day after your tenancy ends
- Tell Council Tax and Housing Benefit (if appropriate) of your new address
- Tell your water, gas, electric and phone companies that you are moving.
Our responsibilities - we will:
Explain the amount of rent due up to and including the tenancy end date
- Agree how you will return your keys to Great Places
- Explain what condition we expect your property to be left in when you leave
- Agree which fixtures and fittings can be left in the property and what needs to be taken out
- Agree a tenancy end date
- Inspect the property and take pictures for our records.