What is Great Places?
Great Places Housing Group is a registered, not for profit, social housing provider working across 30+ local authorities in the North of England providing rented homes, low cost home ownership opportunities, private management services and support services for people in need.
We have over 19,000 properties in our portfolio, and in 2017/18 achieved a turnover of over £100m. We employ approximately 580 employees and are a living wage employer with a strong commitment to supporting and developing our employees to achieve their potential.
The legal structure of Great Places Housing Group comprises the following companies and is overseen day to day by our Chief Executive (Matthew Harrison) and a team of Executive Directors:
Great Places’ Board is currently made up of 8 Non-Executive Directors plus the Chief Executive and is chaired by Tony Davison, with a further 2 NED’s making up our Cube Board.
Our risk areas
Within each of our directorates, an assessment was undertaken to identify any high risk activities or functions where modern slavery and/or human trafficking are known to be more prevalent. This exercise identified the following risk areas:
- Development of new homes – construction workers and supply chain
- Procurement of electronic devices, component parts
- Procurement of repairs materials, parts, etc.
- Use of facilities maintenance and groundwork contractors
Within each of these areas, we will liaise with our contractors and supply chain partners to ensure that risks are managed effectively and that employment practices are in line with our expectations
What have we achieved in the past 12 months?
During 2017/18, we committed to deliver a number of actions in order to address the priority areas that we had identified. The information below summarises our progress against these actions:
We will report on progress against this action plan every 6 months to our Directors Team.
What are our future actions for 2018/19?
Over the next 12 months, we will:
- Re-procure a number of contracts which fall within our high risk areas, including investment contractors, general building sub-contractors, and wider cleaning services
- Continue to work with our existing contractors and partners to address any concerns relating to Modern Slavery or the use of employment practices which are not in line with the principles of the Ethical Trading Initiative Base Code
- Continue to raise awareness with our staff and customers about Modern Slavery and how they should respond to any concerns
We are not aware of any modern slavery or human trafficking incidents having occurred within Great Places or our supply chain within 2017/18 but will continue to act vigilantly in line with the Act.