Money advice

We all need help managing our finances from time-to-time. If you, or someone you know, are experiencing difficulties, there are lots of ways you can seek help and advice.

Hand holding a pound currency symbol in a housed

Welfare benefits 

There are different types of benefits available to families and carers as well as disability benefits, tax credits, job seekers and low income benefits to name just a few.

Budgeting and debt

There are lots of companies out there who can offer support surrounding budgeting and debt. Find out more about support on budgeting and debt

These specialist agencies can also provide help with managing your debt:

Home Insurance

Great Places insure the structure of your home, but our cover doesn’t include what’s inside it.

As a Great Places customer, you can apply for home contents insurance from as little as £2.99 a fortnight.

Find out more about insurance

Banking and loans

Great Places works with the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) to help residents set up current accounts.

You'll need to take proof of your identity and a copy of your tenancy agreement to your local Bank of Scotland branch to get set up.

Need a loan? Credit Unions can be a good source of affordable and local lending. They also offer current accounts. You can usually apply for these, even if you have had money problems in the past. Find a local Credit Union in your area.

Energy bills

If you’re a United Utilities customer...

You can apply for a grant to cover current charges and any arrears — visit United Utilities Trust Fund

United Utilities also run a scheme called WaterSure that gives help to customers who use large amounts of water for essential purposes.

Yorkshire Water Community Trust helps customers who are in genuine need and/or arrears. Visit to see if you might be eligible for this support.

Severn Trent could help you save money on your water bills. Find out more and check if you might be eligible for support.