Many of our customers will have been affected by the wintery weather conditions that have hit the majority of the North West and the North yesterday and today - and the cold snap is not expected to end any time soon.
During these periods of particularly bad weather it is important to keep warm, stay as healthy as possible, and to look out for elderly or vulnerable friends and neighbours and make sure they are safe and well.
Some of our customers can also find themselves in vulnerable positions. Here are some precautions people can take to help themselves and their loved ones stay safe and warm this winter.
· always keep the main rooms in your home heated
· wear warm clothes - layers are best, including a hat
· if outside in icy conditions, wear boots or shoes with suitable grips
· make sure you have enough food and medicines
· check the weather forecast regularly
· take regular hot drinks and food
· heat all rooms used during the day - living room to around 18-21°C (65-70°F) and the rest of your house to at least 16°C (61°F)
· if you can’t heat all your rooms, make sure that you keep one room warm throughout the day
· keep in contact with trusted callers, friends and relatives should you need help and keep your mobile phone charged
You should also find useful information and advice on the following pages: